Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Shift Change

Our life is in three hour increments at this point. 

Here is the for instance.  Kenzie went to work last Saturday for a half-day shift.  I always man up (although it should be mom up) and decide to let Kenzie have a full night of sleep before she trudges off to work.  I do this because I know how much harder it is to go to work than to stay home and be a mom.  If you cannot sense the sarcasm, it was pretty thick with that last statement.  Kenzie went to bed early and I manned the babies from 6pm until noon the next day.  I am used to taking the early morning feeding or the twilight feeding (go team Jacob), but I am not so used to taking a whole evening and then being expected to function as a parent the next day.  I mean, the baby needs to be changed, you have to warm up the bottle, feed the kid, burp the kid in between, change the kids clothes because she spits up on them, swaddle the baby, put her in her crib, put the binkie in, return to the crib because the baby spit the binkie out, feed the other kid when she wakes up, etc etc etc.  And I had the whole pumping/breastfeeding thing removed from the equation.  When Kenzie got home and asked how the night was, my response was "terrible, she was up every three hours!".

Kenzie is handling all of this like a champ.  She is sleep deprived and a zombie some days, but I can't blame her at all.  Kenna is also adjusting to having a sibling very well.  She insists on giving Callie hugs and kisses before she goes to bed and always makes sure that we include Callie when we hang out, read stories, or read scriptures.  She has handled all of this adjustment way better than I thought she would.  Lixie constantly takes her on park excursions and other adventures with Jenna and Bo, which is a huge help.
My life has been pretty busy.  Work is a lot busier since my role shifted to a lead on my team.  I used to have a lot of down time at work which allowed me to surf the internet or do other things at work, but I don't have any time for that anymore.  It is sad.  It is good to be busy though and I think it makes the time fly by much faster.  My time at home cruises by with either a jog with Kenna in the stroller, a trip to feed Sargent Quakerson (the local duck), running errands, or something else.  Usually in the evening I get an hour or two with Kenzie before the shift change.




We are glad that Callie is home and we are all happy.

No comments: