Thursday, September 22, 2011

Going...Going...Gone

Kenna trying to use a magnifying glass. I was laughing too hard to teach her how to use it.

We have had some people ask us "how is the move going?" For those of you that really want to know, here is what it is really like.

Thursday
12:00pm - 3 moving pods were delivered to the driveway.
2:02pm - 1 moving pod was filled to the brim. I thought to myself "self, wow this is going to be simple!"

Friday
3:23 pm - 3 moving pods were filled to the brim. I feel great about my packing ability and declare victory over the pods.
3:24 pm - Kenzie brought out an additional 3 boxes of essential kitchen things.
3:25 pm - I have a breakdown and tell Kenzie that we have to leave Kenna behind.
3:26 pm - Kenzie watches while I continue to have a breakdown.
3:39 pm - Begin unpacking an entire packed cube to repack and see if we can get things to fit better
4:45 pm - Kenna has goldfish and M&M's for dinner because we are too busy to feed her dinner.
5:12 pm - The plastic playslide drops from its position at the top of a cube and falls to strike both Nate and Kenna on the head.
5:13 pm - After getting Kenna to calm down, Kenzie performs concussion test on Kenna to find she has adequate cognitive functions. Results show that Kenna has not suffered any permanent physical trauma, only emotional.
5:14 pm - Kenzie performs concussion test on Nate. Results were inconclusive.
6:23pm - We stuff the vacuum and hangers into the last cube and somehow manage to get them shut.

Kenzie worked like a madwoman to clean the house and get it all ready for the people moving in. I ran around and completed a hundred and one errands with Kenna in the backseat. She has been a great little helper and has been a trooper through the whole thing. I know it is weird, but I think she really understands that we are leaving and moving to Texas. She knows that we packed up all her stuff with the intention of it going to Texas and she constantly tells me that she gets all her toys when we get there.

We managed to get out of Richmond Saturday night and got to Delaware in time to see Annie and Jason bless their baby on Sunday. We have been busy working on house stuff and am proud to report we officially closed in Richmond yesterday. We still don't have a firm closing date for Texas, but it looks like Monday will be the day. We are keeping our fingers crossed.

I am pretty nervous about opening those cubes when we finally get in Texas. I picture it pretty much like a cartoon with a pile of things falling on whoever opens it. Maybe I will have Lixie or Jarom be the lucky one to open it.....

We start the drive tomorrow and are stopping in Memphis on the way for a little visit with Bob, Melissa, and Ashton (Nate's Cousin). It should be smooth sailing and we have about 29 hours of Barney, Mickey Mouse, Super Y, and every other childrens show that has been made.


We had a great time in Delaware, even though we were only there for a few days.









3 comments:

Carolyn said...

I loved the details you shared about moving. Good luck with the long drive!

Matthew and Courtney said...

I am pretty sure I saw that the map stopped off in Mesa, AZ too!!! I love seeing the updated pictures. I am 10 days away from adding a new spitfire to our family.

The Fab 5 said...

Wow I'm pretty sure I'm terrified of moving now! Good luck opening that thing! Let me know when you're here and I'll atleast come help unpack. Can't wait to see you guys! Drive safe!

WELCOME TO TEXAS!!!