Saturday, July 18, 2009

It'll Be Fine

I have heard a lot of women express concerns throughout their life that they are becoming just like their moms. Guys don't worry about stuff like that nearly as much, but we do a little. I never really worried about becoming like my dad - it just was never that big of a fear of mine because he is such an upstanding guy (shotout to dad!). Well, to be honest, there are actually a few things that I try not to be like my dad on. I try not to pick my nails like him, not to turn the steering wheel in the car with as much umph as he does, not to spaz out during BYU football games, and try not to lose my hair. I was so focused on avoiding these things that I never even saw this one coming.....
I am becoming like my father-in-law.
I say this because my trees in the backyard needed some trimming. My own father pointed this out when he came to see his granddaughter. He said that my trees were super droopy and scolded me for not taking care of them. That inspired me to go to Lowes and got a Dewalt Sawzall. It is the mother of all power tools. I got it to trim the trees. I figured I could get it done in a timely manner with the power tool. I climbed up the recently purchased ladder with one hand, the powerful power tool in the other, grabbed a branch with my teeth and pulled it down to cut it.... and Kenzie comes out on the deck. It is only as she comes out on the porch that I realize how utterly absurd my predicament really is. I am about 15 feet up reaching for high branches and she says, "Are you sure that is safe?" And my reply comes out just like good old father-in-law Young as I told her "It'll be fine".
That is Mr. Young's all-time favorite quote. Any one of his children can attest that the man will be working on something and do something very dangerous while citing "It'll be fine". I guess that is what happens when you grow up on a ranch when they haven't invented eye protection or anything safety related. So kudos to you Mr. Young. Your influence carries over to another generation. It really will be fine.
And fine it was. I escaped without severing any of my limbs and now my trees no longer look like weeping willows. A couple of the branches turned out to be a little too high for me so I attempted the tarzan approach. It didn't work.
Here is another tarzan approach. Dewalt is much better.



Life is great! We love having our little girl around and the house is fantastic. Work is going well and we are really blessed to have such a great life. Kenzies family comes in to town today. Then on Sunday Kenzie's aunt and uncle arrive with their two kiddos. It should be lots of fun.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

This was hilarious - I was laughing to myself outloud. That makes me a total nerd, but oh well. I'm glad to hear your trees are looking awesome and that life is going well!

Anonymous said...

you cant be tarzan unless you take off your shirt....how dedicated are you?