Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Blue Bonnets


Spring has sprung here in Texas.  It is going a little differently than I remember in the last couple years.  This year Texas seems to be oscillating between winter and summer and can’t decide what it wants to be.  The result is that we will have some very hot, sunburny days and some days where it is so cold I put the girls in coats.  The cold weather killed the tomatoes we planted.  Boo.  Hopefully they bounce back.  We also experienced our first major hail storm.  The house was pelted with ping-pong sized hail balls for an hour while we listened for the tornado sirens to go off.  Kenna was terrified at first but then found the hail amusing.  We didn’t get it as bad as some of the other neighborhoods around where the hail was golf ball to baseball sized.  The result of all this strange weather (so I’m told) is that the blue bonnets have not flourished as they usually do every spring.  Despite this, we were able to find some patches and get some pretty cute pictures.
 
 
 
 
 


For the rest of this post I’m going to use pictures to tell about our life in the last couple months.




Kenna has finally been able to start “joo nastics” (gymnastics).  She loves to practice.  She goes to the park and lifts herself up on the rings and flips through.  She kept begging to go to the park (after being there twice in one day) so I finally asked her why she wanted to go again and she said it was because she needed to practice her ‘joonastics’.  I showed her how to do the same flips on the swing.  

 
We also made a cartwheel mat for her to practice her cartwheels and she has gotten really good.  The mat shows where to put her hands and feet and the other day she told me, “ Now I can beat the other joonastics girls!”  Turns out she does have a competitive streak.





Kenna is as big of a ham as ever.  She still loves to be naked and has taken to hanging her tongue out of her mouth whenever I break out the camera.  She still picks out her own clothes and changes multiple times a day.  She discovered a ‘twirly girl’ dress that poofs out when she spins and so she wears one nearly every day.  She is still liking soccer and gets excited when she kicks the ball.  We registered her for kindergarten (insert tears here).  I can’t believe how fast she is growing up!  It seems like she should still be toddling around carrying a baby doll. 
  

 
 
 
 


Callie is talking away.  It seems like her speech just suddenly exploded.  Here are some of my favorites – 

‘awmeew’ (oatmeal) – she labels her breakfast every morning.  She insists on feeding herself every morning and has taken to drinking it since that gets it down faster.

‘mow mow’ (lawnmower) – she calls this out every time she hears one.

‘natt’ – like Kenna before her she has taken to call her dad Nate.

‘wahha oo’ (where are you)

‘sheepin’ (sleeping) – her favorite way to use this is to say “Emmy sheepin”.

‘Aye yaw yaw’ (outside) – I hear this word all the time.  She would spend all day every day outside if she could.
 
 
 ‘Shoos’ – Callie loves it when visitors come because it is new shoes that she can try on.  She is especially fond of Kenna’s ‘fih faw’ (flip flops).  The other day I took her to get some shoes but couldn’t find any I liked.  She cried hysterically after trying on several pairs and not being able to buy any.
‘bashoo’ (bless you) – she says this spontaneously  whenever she hears someone sneeze 

‘yesh’ (yes) – I love the way she says it.  It almost sounds like two words ‘yeh’ and ‘sh’

‘heeyy’ (hey) – we say this to her whenever she is doing something she shouldn’t be doing (picture it stern and drawn out) so she has taken to doing things that she thinks we don’t want her to do and saying “heeyy”.  She likes to get a reaction out of us and thinks it is especially hysterical when she is taking her shoes off in the car.

Callie went through a phase where she took Kenna's pajama pants out of her drawer and wore them around her neck.  Always the pants.  Sometimes the shirts, but never the nightgowns.  It was pretty funny.  She screamed if I tried to take them away.  Now she has moved on to Kenna's underwear.  She wore them on her arm for a while then figured out that you wear them like pants.  Sometimes she wears multiple pairs.

 
 
 

 Callie recently discovered suckers.  This keeps her happy and quiet for a 3-4 mile run in the stroller.


Callie loves jewelry and baby dolls.  She will take her diapers and say "baby poop".  Then carry her baby and the diapers all around the house.  Sometimes we hear "baby sheepin" or "baby shad" (sad).  It's adorable.  Little Callie is a bundle of joy and laughs.

 





No comments: