Anyone that has been in Texas for a few hours during the summertime knows that it is absurdly hot here. We go swimming for an hour, put sun block all over us, and we still come home scorched. I decided to fight back this summer, so I used Jarom and Alixa's home as a reference and build some shade. Their home has this gigantic patio cover with enormous timbers which gives them ample shade to sit in while the kids wander around in the backyard picking up rocks. I sat under it for a long time and thought that maybe I could build one.
The first thing that I did was come up with the design. When I say that I came up with the design, I really mean that I called Brigham (Kenzie's dad) and Kevin Slaugh (my best friend growing up who builds stuff) and sent them plans. My initial draft did not pass inspection and they told me that I needed to pour footers. I didn't even know what a footer was so I knew this was going to be a big project. I got to work though and googled "footer". Then I realized what they were talking about. It really means that you dig a hole and fill it with concrete. So I thought it would be a good father-daughter experience for Kenna to help me dig 50 inch holes. I started digging, and about 40 inches down I turned around to get a shovel and Kenna managed to fall right in the hole. When I turned around again she was gone. Needless to say, she was just a bit hesitant to "help" after that.
I was frequently calling Kevin and Brigham to ask them questions and get their advice on what kind of ties to get or what to put where. They were a great help and I always appreciate them helping me on my projects. This was definitely the biggest one that I have tackled so far.
The rest of the planning and building went off without a hitch. I went and picked up the 6x6x10 posts from Lowes and saved 20 bucks for renting a truck by putting them in the Altima. 200 dollars later I replaced the windshield that I busted out with the posts. I decided to go the safer route for the rest of the wood and picked it all up in the rented truck. Here are pictures of the project from start to finish. I had to leave it unattached to the home because anything attached to the house requires a permit.
We already love the shade and spend way more time outside. Sadly, finishing this project just made us want to extend the concrete pad and get some outside patio furniture, but that will have to wait a few weeks.
Funny story of the week. Kenzie and I both teach a primary class full of 7 year old rug rats. One of the tattled on another kid and told me that "Thatcher was not being good and was talking without raising his hand". I thought I would take the opportunity to teach the kids something. I made everyone settle down and I asked "Does anyone know what a snitch is?" The whole class erupted with hands shooting up everywhere and kids doing the oh-oh pick me dance. I picked Thatcher and he says "It's the ball that they play with in Harry Potter". The kids went on to explain the game of quittage to me and I realized that my teaching moment was gone. This generation of kids won't get it when you tell them that nobody likes a snitch. Kids nowadays.
No comments:
Post a Comment