Monday, August 2, 2010

Nate is Old

Nate just spent another week in Wisconsin. Alixa was also out of town, so Kenna and I were pretty bored. We survived by spending a lot of time at the children's museum. Kenna never seems to get tired of going there. But when she is there she sees no reason why she can't play with the big kids. She runs around after them and tried to do everything they do. The result is a lot of nervous parents yelling "Look out for the baby!"

During the week he was gone, I relocated Kenna to my room so that I could finish mudding and sanding the inside of her room (which has been drywall and screws since January). I figured if I left the job to Nate it would never get done.

Nate got home just in time for his birthday. Jarom, Lixi and Jenna stayed the night at our house on Thursday because a storm had knocked their power out and being without air conditioning in Richmond during the summer time is not an option. Friday morning we all had donuts and Kenna and Jenna finally got to see each other after almost a month of being apart. They were pretty excited. We all thought they might play together now that they are a little bit older, but the only game they play is follow the leader. One walks around and the other follows. It is pretty cute, though.

The rest of Nate's birthday was spend painting Kenna's room bubblegum pink. I'm still not sure about the color an am considering repainting it. Then we had Jarom and Lixi over again for some dinner a la grill. Not a very exciting way to spend your birthday, but I think Nate was just happy to spend some time with Kenna. He missed her very much while he was gone and said that she had grown since he left.
She is still growing like a weed. She is working on popping two more teeth through on the top. I feel like babies should just get all their teeth at once. That way they can just have two really miserable weeks and then be fine.

Kenna has started waving to us when we put her down for a nap. She has her binky in her mouth, her silky tucked under one arm and her singing sea horse under the other. She rubs her eyes and waves to you as you walk out of the room. It is adorable!

Also, the other day I went to get her from her nap and she was leaned against the corner of her crib with her shirt tucked under her chin poking at her belly button. It is her newest fascination. She'll be playing and suddenly remember about her belly button and check to see if it is still there.
Her other new thing to do lately happens at night when she gets really tired. She finds something to cover up her head and face (a blanket, jammies, etc) and then runs around the house tripping over things, laughing hysterically. What makes it even better is that she snorts!

Finally, we are entering the toddler phase. I recently asked her if she wanted to take a nap. She shook her head and said "No." It's really interesting how much she understands. She knows there are certain things she isn't supposed to touch, so she will go over to them, lightly touch them and shake her head and say "no, no, no." If we have to sternly tell her no, which isn't very often, she runs away from whatever she was touching while fake crying and saying "no, no, no." She is constant entertainment.

2 comments:

Glenn Makechnie said...

Ok, your daughter is adoreable. And, Nate, don't feel bad abut being old; Jarom is always going to be older.

Mama Winn said...

You can't be that old, I still call you Natie.