Saturday, April 18, 2009

Don't Step on my Grass



When I was a kid there were lots of things that my parents would make me do that I thought I would never, ever in my life enjoy doing. The older I get, the more I see these things come back to haunt me. For instance, as I am putting the trim around the new floor in my living room, I actually am excited to paint it. There was another instance 2 weekends ago when we went to go buy a mower to cut the grass. I am sad to report that I was actually excited to cut my own grass. Maybe it’s the fact that the grass came free with the house so I feel like it’s a bit more special than regular grass. Whatever it is, I was excited to mow it.

Now the mowing was way overdue. The backyard had been slowly getting more and more out of control and Kenzie and I were a bit reluctant to buy a mower for some reason. We talked about lots of alternatives. We could buy a cow or goat, let it grow and cut it for hay, pave the entire backyard, or just ignore it since the backyard is fenced in anyway. However we finally went to Lowes and bought a lawnmower. It was almost too exciting. I am now the proud owner of my very own lawn mower. It occurred to me after I bought the mower and started mowing that this was really the first time in my life I was excited to cut grass. That realization scared me, but it is the truth. I was excited to re-do the floor in our family room too. I was excited to paint. All these things that my parents made me do growing up are things that I am actually excited for now. I am becoming my father. Well, at least I don’t wake Kenzie up at 8 am on a Saturday and tell her I need her “help” in the yard – while afterward just making her sit and watch me do something.

Anyway, you win world. I am becoming my father and doing things I never thought I would do. Sad times.

I still want a goat.

5 comments:

Mama Winn said...

Your father is a pretty great person to become.

The Dummers said...

I think a little part of all of us wants a goat...

Paul B. Winn said...

Nate - I remember your Dad, as a youngster, complaining that "When I grow up I'm not going to have a yard so my kids have to work in it." Seems history just keeps on repeating itself.
Grandpa Winn

Jarom said...

Is that a shed in your backyard? Why is it on stilts? Do you live in some sort of flood zone?

Robert Ehlers said...

kristi, jolie, and i discovered you can buy goats on ksl.com! we were thinking of randomly giving out goats and leaving them tied up in their apartments... maybe we will send one your way too.